Monday, September 2, 2013

Vocabulary: Fall #1


  • Expository: Of the nature of exposition; serving to expound, set forth, or explain. We had to write an expository essay on how to use a smart phone.
  • Composition: The act of combining parts or elements to form a whole. Dr. Preston is going to compose what we will learn this school year in his class using the vocabulary words.
  • Assuage: To make milder or less severe; relieve; ease. I tried to assuage my friend from her pain.
  • Decadence: The act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay. I try connecting what I learn to my daily life so it doesn't become a decadence.
  • Hackneyed: Made commonplace or trite; stale; banal. The young mans' poetry had been hackneyed. 
  • Coalition: A combination or alliance, especially a temporary one between persons, factions, states, etc. My partner and I made a coalition to put the same effort on the huge project we were assigned together.
  • Transcend: To rise above or go beyond; overpass; exceed. I decided to transcend the amount of effort I usually put in projects and make it the best project ever.
  • Meritorious: Deserving praise, reward, esteem, etc.; praiseworthy. The dog received a gift for his meritorious service.
  • Lurid: Gruesome; horrible; revolting. I didn't want to hear the lurid details of how he lost his hand.
  • Petulant: Moved to or showing sudden, impatient irritation, especially over some trifling annoyance. The child grew very petulant when he couldn't reach the chips that were on the top shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment